Top 10 List of Fuel Efficient Cars: 2011-2012
1. Toyota Prius:
51 City/48 Hwy (50 Combined), Base Price: $23,050. 1.8-liter,
4-Cylinder engine and 134 hp, 0-60 mph in 9.8 secs.
Toyota Prius is the most fuel efficient car as well as the most demanding car on the market. Its a small sedan which can accommodate 5 persons and its the perfect choice for those who drive over 100 miles a day.
2. Lexus CT 200h:
43 City/40 Hwy (42 Combined), Base Price: $29,120. 1.8-liter, with 4-Cylinder engine and up to 134 hp, 0-60 mph in 9.8 secs.
The Lexus CT 200h offers great mileage as well as luxury. It offers an MPG rating of 42 with advanced technology and lower CO2 emissions.
3. Honda Civic Hybrid vs Honda Insight: These Honda cars were on tie for the third place. Both these cars give an mpg rating of 41. Civic offers more room space while the Insight is that it is much more affordable.
Honda Civic Hybrid: 40 City/43 Hwy (41 Combined), Base Price: $23,950. 1.3-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 110 hp, 0-60 mph in 11.3 secs.
Honda Insight: 40 City/43 Hwy (41 Combined), Base Price: $18,200. 1.3-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 98 hp.
4. Ford Fusion Hybrid vs Lincoln MKZ Hybrid: Two cars from Ford Motors were on tie for the fourth spot with an mpg rating of 39 and gives out 191 hp. The Fusion Hybrid is more affordable, while the MKZ Hybrid has more class and style.
Ford Fusion Hybrid: 41 City/36 Hwy (39 Combined), Base Price: $28,405. 2.5-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 191 hp. 0-60 mph in 8.4 secs.
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid: 41 City/36 Hwy (39 Combined), Base Price: $34,645. 2.5-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 191 hp. 0-60 mph in 8.2 secs.
5. Honda CR-Z or Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: The fifth spot is occupied by two cars; Honda CR-Z and the Sonata Hybrid each has a combined mpg rating of 37. Honda offers a sporty coupe at a comfortable price range while Hyundai offers a full sedan with great gas mileage.
Honda CR-Z: 35 City/39 Hwy (37 Combined), Base price: $19,345. 1.5-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 122 hp. 0-60 mph in 9.7 secs.
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: 35 City/40 Hwy(37 avg.) Base Price: $25,795. 2.4-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 206 hp. 0-60 mph in 9.2 secs.
6. Smart for Two: 33 City/41 Hwy (36 Combined), Base Price: $10,990. 1.0-liter, 3-cylinder runs on high-priced premium fuel with only 70 hp. 0-60 mph in 12.8 secs.
Smart for Two is a Small, affordable 2-seat coupe that has a small engine, capable of saving you a lot of money due to it low cost and 36 combined fuel efficiency. If you prefer style, go with the cabriolet model, a convertible version that start at $17,690.
7. Volkswagen Jetta TDI & Golf TDI: Each of these cars has an mpg of 34 and they run on diesel and not on the regular gasoline. Prices are almost similar and based on your style, you can go with the Jetta or Golf.
Volkswagen Jetta TDI: 30 City/42 Hwy (34 avg), Base Price: $22,995. 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder TDI clean diesel engine with 140 hp. 0-60 mph in 8.7 secs.
Volkswagen Golf TDI: 30 City/42 Hwy (34 avg), Base Price: $23,225. 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder TDI clean diesel engine with 140 hp. 0-60 mph in 8.6 secs.
8. Ford Fiesta vs Hyundai Elantra: Both these are affordable sedans with an mpg of 33 and is available at less than $15k. Fuel efficiency should not be the only factor when trying to save money. Buying a car that cost much less with fewer mpg is actually better than one with high mpg which costs over $10k or more.
Ford Fiesta SFE: 29 City/40 Hwy (33 Combined), Base Price:$14,420. 1.6-liter, 4-cylinder engine with 119 hp. 0-60 mph in 8.7 secs.
Hyundai Elantra: 29 City/40 Hwy (33 Combined), Base Price: $14,830. 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder engine with 148 hp. 0-60 mph in 10.5 secs.
9. Nissan Altima Hybrid vs Toyota Camry Hybrid: Averaging 33 mpg, the Altima Hybrid and Camry Hybrid are roomy mid-sized sedans starting at less than $27,000.
Nissan Altima Hybrid: 33 City/33 Hwy (33 avg), Base Price: $26,800. 2.5-liter, 4-cylinder gas engine with 198 hp, accelerating from 0-60 mph in 7.5 secs. Nissan Altima Hybrid is a midsize sedan made for the Nissan lovers which is a bit sportier than most hybrids.
Toyota Camry Hybrid: 31 City/35 Hwy (33 avg), Base Price: $26,675. 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder with 187-horsepower, reaching 0-60 mph in 7.7 secs. If you love the original Camry, then you should try the Camry Hybrid because it has better fuel economy and it can be a big saver after a few years.
10. Ford Escape Hybrid: 34 City/31 Hwy (32 Combined), Base Price: $30,110. 2.5-liter, 4-cylinder with 171 hp.
The Ford Escape Hybrid is the most fuel efficient SUV in the world with a better gas mileage and at the same time, it can also perform heavy duty jobs.